My inbox has been filled by constituents writing to me expressing profound concern about the tragedy unfolding in the Gaza-Israel conflict, and the emerging humanitarian crisis.
The UK Government, acting on our behalf, has the ability and responsibility to use its considerable influence on the international stage to promote the safety and well-being of civilians in Gaza and Israel.
Afterall, in such difficult times, it is important to remember that the majority of us – across races, religions, and regions – are connected by a shared humanity. Most of us share the desire for a life of safety and freedom, for ourselves and our families.
The UK Government must urgently prioritise calling for actions that will stop the deaths and suffering of any more civilians in Gaza and Israel.
I have joined a growing number of MPs, from across parties, to be a signatory to Early Day Motion 1685.
We are collectively calling for the Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary to urgently press all parties for the following:
- An immediate de-escalation and cessation of hostilities
- The immediate, unconditional release of Israeli hostages
- An end to the siege of Gaza
- Unfettered access of medical supplies, food, fuel electricity and water
- International humanitarian law to be upheld