I joined a delegation to deliver a letter and message to Chancellor Rishi Sunak ahead of the Spring Statement about the injustice of food insecurity faced by millions, calling for a Right to Food to be enshrined into UK law.
In the letter the campaign calls on Chancellor Sunak to include provision for key campaign requests in the Spring Statement on 23 March
2022 and to choose to end to end hunger in the UK by:
- Providing universal free school meals
- Stating how much of minimum / living wages and benefits (on which people are expected to live) is for food
- Right To Food legislation to be accompanied by oversight and enforcement powers granted to a new independent regulatory body that will hold Government to account
- Funding community kitchens including dining clubs and ‘meals-on-wheels’ services for the elderly and vulnerable, school holiday meals for those most in need and community cookery clubs
- Ensuring food security – and taking this duty into account when setting